23 May 2021

Revisiting Saints Row IV

 



In 2015 I said this about Saints Row IV:

''Saints Row IV feels like it's only recycling old ideas and quickly put together - something in its visual style makes my head hurt on a longer game sessions'' (Review)

...and all these years I've been thinking how bad game it was. For some reason in my head I created this fantasy of ''worst possible game of which I hated every second of''. But is that true? Not at all.

I decided to replay Saints Row IV earlier this year - I had fun revisiting The Third so I decided to give the sequel a chance too, even though I was sure that I would hate it Yes, hate. Years ago I didn't enjoy it because it wasn't anything like The Third, but now I found it being even better than the previous installment. It has certain charm with its weird sci-fi world - a perfect sandbox for chaos without consequences. And that is the magic of Saints Row IV: you pretty much do anything you like without having to think ethics of it! Cause who would think ethics when playing a game about murder and sex... 

Not me, not me...



But why did I enjoy Saints Row IV more this time? That's probably because now I played it as Saints Row IV and not just as second The Third. I really learned to like the superpowers and meta jokes. Especially the superpowers make this game fun - flying through Steelport and stomping on aliens is almost therapeutic during the time when you really can't do anything outside.

I'm happy I gave this game another chance - it's the superhero movie for my liking (and I pretty much only enjoy the original Spider-Man trilogy or 90's Batman movies).

I also put together this little video:


No comments:

Post a Comment