19 September 2021

Going Through My Old Steam Reviews (Part 2)

Back in the day I used to write these short and silly reviews on Steam - now after several years I'm going through them and taking a look at what kind of weird things I've said. Don't forget to check out Part 1!

"Funny online shooter with many flying red pixels (I guess I was trying to describe blood?). Recommended for playing with netbooks in school... I mean recess." Do you guys still remember netbooks? I use to have this blue toy-looking Dell which was my first own computer. It began my game making journey as well my more active gaming journey - I played old games like first Counter-Strike on it!

About CS though, it was never my favourite one to play. It was already old, kinda ugly (but in a good way) and player base was already established. For me this game was an interesting relic of the 90s.

Let's continue to the next Counter-Strike game. ''One of the best online shooters ever, especially with mods." To this day CSS is, at least for me, the online shooter. As you can see, I haven't played it so much but still it holds a special place in my heart. It led me to skins and the Source modding community, which for me was probably the most interesting part of the whole Source engine based games. The things you can do with in some ways very limited options is inspiring.

For me the latest Counter-Strike, Global Offensive, is the one I have played the most but it never captured the same magic as CSS

"This is how RTS should be done: fast-paced action, destroyable environments and different enemies. DoW II has no dull moments; you need to keep your eyes glued on the monitor so you're own soldiers die, because without your brothers you're in trouble." Poetic. I don't really remember much of Dawn of War games - I think I enjoyed more of their artwork and atmosphere than the gameplay itself. I'm not even big fan of RTS genre in general, but maybe I should give these games another try? Though Animal Crossing is enough excitement and micro managing for me nowadays.

"Worst part of HL2 trilogy. There's something missing in Episode 1 that made HL2 so good. It's also way too short for a full priced game: four hours! But it's still great." To be honest, I don't know what I'm talking about. Full priced game? Was Episode 1 never sold at 40-60 euros price or something like that? 

In fact it was not. According to all-knowing Wikipedia, it was sold in Steam at discounted price and in retail stores as a part of different Valve-themed collections. So that's it then. I guess I was angry that there were not yet a closure to the HL2 story (oh, how the years fly!) because in retrospective I've learned that though Episode 1 is not the best it has some interesting stuff going on A.I. wise. I really need to replay Half-Life games. All of them.

"Game that leaves too many questions open. Waiting for the sequel..." This pains me. 

As I look back, I realize that I haven't really appreciated how great game Episode 2 is. In many ways it was the best Half-Life related game in story, environment and mechanics wise but I guess it's legacy is to be ''that game that left us waiting.'' 

I need to get my hands on VR kit and try out Half-Life: Alyx. It's one of the few games released recent years that really excites me.

Let's end this part with an another Dawn of War game. "An example of how you include an epic story to RTS." You know what? I don't remember anything about Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising. Like anything. Even looking at the box didn't woke any forgotten memories. But I guess it was good? At least I though so nine years ago.

And that's all for Part 2. Part 3 will be out - hopefully - in October, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment