15 August 2021

RimWorld has taken over my life

My colony burned to the ground because of lightning.

All of my colonists were kidnapped.

Half of my colony were killed while exploring.

And still I can't stop playing this game. Why it's so fun to suffer?

After few very failed attempts I've been able to get my colony work, though dropping difficulty and playing with Phoebe Chillax for a while was a must. And I thought that watching Vinny Vinesauce's RimWorld streams were enough tutorial! I also decided to play without saving or loading, which gives the game some more meaning. Normally I hate playing with permadeath, but with RimWorld it's how the game and the stories it creates work best - at least for me. Everyone has their own way to play, and the most important thing is to have fun! And not loosing all of your colonists.

For me the magic of RimWorld is the stories - it's a story generator after all. Micromanaging is all fun and stuff, but the interactions and random events that take place during all the gameplay are the the salt and pepper of the experience. It's like a TV-series that just keep going on and on and on... Most of the time you can just lay back and watch as your little ant colony works, but when something catastrophic happens, you get a real adrenaline rush - just like in a football (not the American one, I mean ''soccer'') match! 

Truly a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment