22 November 2023

Cyberpunk 2077 Is Great

Photo: https://www.cyberpunk.net/fi/en/cyberpunk-2077

What can I say about CD Projekt Reds 2020 game Cyberpunk 2077 that hasn't already been said a million times? That it’s breathtaking? That at the times it has a such a strong and silly male gaze going on that I could write a book about it? That it’s a buggy mess? Or could I just say that it’s just a great game?

All of those things are true, and don’t get me wrong. I enjoyed Cyberpunk 2077. I would even say that it’s one of my favourite gaming experiences of all time. And this is coming from a person who wasn’t a all hyped about it, in fact I doubted if I’m ever even gonna play it, as previous CD Projekt Red games I’ve tried all were just not for me gameplay wise. But Cyberpunk 2077 is different. First of all, it’s FPS instead of a third person RPG – small thing for some but a big deal for me, especially if I want to get invested in a game world (though there are some exceptions like Breath of the Wild which works as third person game perfectly). And that’s the thing I especially didn’t expect from this game – it really felt like I was there with the characters. You see, in Cyberpunk 2077 developers were – even though Night City is giant place with big, big buildings, all the most important and intimate meetings and moments happen in small, closed places like apartments, diners and so on. And that really turned out to be my favourite part of the game. I loved sitting with the other characters, just talking or hanging out, drinking shots and watching out of the window. That something that Bethesdas games for example – as much I love them – never captured. 

And that feeling of being there, being part of the world and its stories really made all the glaring problems obscure. Yeah, sometimes you pass by many NPC's that are just clones of each others or you car flies from the force of crashing in something to out of the bound areas which you cannot escape but in the end does it even matter? I don't think I really felt so many emotions as when I've finished game and saw my character on their way to next adventure... Or the second ending I got after I resumed to play through Phantom Liberty DLC and... Well, let's just say that I didn't expect my choices to lead to that. It was heartbreaking yet somewhat understandable – in a macabre way.

Yeah. Cyberpunk 2077 is a great game. I really hope to get to play other experiences like this at some point – but now it's time to get back to Hyrule. I'm coming for you, Ganon

No comments:

Post a Comment