01 June 2023

How Breath of the Wild Became One of My Favourite Games

When I finished my original playthrough of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I thought it was fine. Not the best thing I’ve played, but enjoyable. Lots of little things irritated me though, and for example bosses and combat in general was something I couldn't wrap my head around. So, I was pretty sure I wouldn't return to it, at least for a while.

Flashforward few years forward. BotW related stuff appears on videos I watch, articles I read and so on. And suddenly when hearing those awesome piano motifs I starts somehow getting…. nostalgic? In fact I realize that for some reason I miss this game that I thought was too large and unfocused. And then I decide to buy the DLC pack. I reload the save I had before entering the fight with Ganon and return to Hyrule.

And what a glorious return it was. Taking time away from BotW made me really appreciate all the thing I found messy and irritating before. Learned to enjoy the combat loop, and those bosses that I really disliked felt like a new and fresh challenges on the Champion’s Ballad DLC (except Waterblight Ganon, F that guy). And after completing that quest you get a motorbike! It’s weird thing to behold in Hyrule, but at least I don’t need to keep track off my horse who I always left in weird places.

I found out that this game became more entertaining for me after I’ve already learned most of the mechanics and didn't need to spend time finding the ”basic” items or follow the main story. I had time to explore, and soon I realized that there was so much that I’ve missed earlier - like the whole Hebra region. 

This game really grew on me. It took a long time, but now it is one of my favorite games of all time - and while some of my older favorites, like Fallout: New Vegas (which I also just played through again) may feel outdated and janky in modern standards, I feel like BotW won’t have that problem. And now that it got a sequel (which I really need to get my hands on sooner or later) it just get better. At least I hope so.

But yeah, the lesson we learned today is that in modern hectic world it’s sometimes a good idea to take some time to reflect things. Maybe you’ll find enjoyment in something that in a first glance didn’t feel your thing. Or don’t. That’s fine too.



No comments:

Post a Comment